The Palace of Culture and Science is an imposing building located at the heart of Warsaw in Poland. It is considered as the tallest building in Poland and the eighth tallest in the European Union. It held the title as the tallest building in Europe from 1955 to 1957. This building was originally to be known as the Joseph Stalin Palace of Culture and Science. This dedication was revoked in the wake of De-Stalinization after the death of Stalin in 1953.
The Palace of Culture and Science was built as a gift to the people of Poland from the Soviet Union. The tower was constructed from 1952 to 1955. It was entirely built using Soviet plans and around 3,500workers hailing from the Soviet Union. Its main architect was Lev Rudnev who also incorporated certain Polish architectural details into its design while traveling all over Poland. It was to become the pride of Poland as well as that of the Soviet Union and by building such an imposing structure that seem to dwarf the other surrounding structures in the city.
The architecture behind the Palace of Culture and Science was closely related to several of the skyscrapers built in the Soviet Union. It is somehow most notably similar to the Moscow State University building. Aside from that, there are also other Polish architectural influences to make it also distinct as well as make it well adapted to its surroundings despite its imposing size. The walls of the structure most notably was built with pieces of masonry that was copied from Renaissance houses and palaces that were found in Krakow and Zamosc.