The Scotia Plaza is a Postmodern commercial office building located at 40 King Street West in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is right in the midst of the city’s financial district. It is considered as Toronto’s second highest building ans one of its most recognizable ones.
Scotia Plaza History
The Scotia Plaza was constructed sometime in 1988. Building the skyscraper took around 8 years to complete due to the fact that part of the building project included that the functions of the existing Bank of Nova Scotia’s head office and Toronto Main banking branch continue with minimal disruption during the building’s construction phase. The construction managers that took on the project was Goldie-Burgess Ltd. which was then followed by W. Tamm Consulting Limited. The modern structure of the building was designed by WZMH Architects.
Scotia Plaza Features
The Scotia Plaza actually consists of two main components- an old historic building and a modern one built connected to it. The old building is the historic Bank of Nova Scotia head office which was built from 1946 to 195. It is a 27 storey building that underwent a complete renovation along with certain architectural changes. Among them is the construction of the 14 story high glass atrium that connect the historic building to the newer and more modern 68 story structure.
The newer component of the Scotia Plaza is its building that stands 274.9 meters or 902 feet high. It consists of 68 storeys above ground with 6 additional storeys found below. The new structure, unlike most modern buildings built out of steel and glass, is mainly constructed out of reinforced concrete. Granite is used mainly as the main material for its exterior as well as some interior surfaces.