The Belvedere is a historical palatial complex located in the city of Vienna in Austria. The palace complex consists mainly of two Baroque palaces called the Upper and Lower Belvedere, the Orangery and the Palace Stables. The most striking building of the lot is the Upper Belvedere palace, noted for its sweeping Baroque architecture settled on one side of the Baroque-styled landscape garden that forms part of the building complex. The building complex also houses the Belvedere museum.
The Belvedere was designed to be the summer residence for Prince Eugene of Savoy. It was built at a time of extensive construction boom in the city of Vienna during the late 1600’s. It was a prosperous time for the city, which was by then already made as both the imperial capital and the residence for the ruling dynasty. It came at a successful conclusion of Price Eugene’s successful war campaign against the Ottoman Empire.
Lower Belvedere Features
The initial construction of the building complex commenced with the building of the Lower Belvedere in 1714. Prince Eugene of Savoy commissioned architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt to build it. Completed in 1716, the palace was designed to be the living quarters and the staterooms of the summer residence. The Lower Belvedere is also connected to the Orangery and the Palace Stables. It is now primarily being used to stage exhibitions and in part as a Baroque styled museum.
Upper Belvedere Features
The construction for the Upper Belvedere was planned around a year after Lower Belvedere was completed. Actual construction on the palace took place between 1721 and 1722. The palace was completed around 1723, quite a quick turnaround in terms of constructing an impressive palace.
With its sweeping Baroque design the Upper Belvedere was meant to for show and pomp display. It is evident through the Sala Terrena, its grand staircase, and the impressively looking Marble Hall.