Glasgow Cathedral is the head church of the Diocese of Glasgow. It is located north of High Street and east of Cathedral Street, right beside the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and right in the heart of Glasgow, Scotland’s largest city. It is also called as the High Kirk of Glasgow, St. Kentigern’s or St. Mungo’s Cathedral. It also once held the status as the Roman Catholic mother church of the Archdiocese of Glasgow. The current congregation is considered part of the Church of Scotland’s Presbytery of Glasgow.
Glasgow Cathedral History
Little is known concerning the church buildings that were built in the site where the present cathedral now stands until the early 12th Century. The first stone building on the site was known to have been consecrated around 1136. The building was eventually damaged and destroyed by fire and was succeeded by a larger building in 1197. This building is what makes up the Glasgow Cathedral today. Sometime in the early 13th Century, the Nave of the cathedral was extended and completed. Other rebuilding projects were conducted during the later part of the 13th Century.
Glasgow Cathedral Features
The Glasgow Cathedral is one of the remaining examples of Scottish Gothic architecture. It is one of the few churches since medieval times that have survived the Reformation with its roof intact. Its current title as a cathedral is considered as honorific and historical as it has no longer been a seat of a bishop since 1690. The cathedral is characterized by a combination of pointed arcades, slender traceried windows and as well as a unique array of three vaulted aisles going around the presbytery and the choir.
Upon entering the cathedral, one comes upon the Nave from the center where the length of the cathedral can be seen. The length of the cathedral is 87 meters or 285 feet. The width of the Nave stretches 20 meters or 63 feet and the height of the Nave roof is 32 meters or 105 feet. The timber roof takes a medieval design with much of it still dates back to the 14th Century. Glasgow Cathedral is also known to have one of the finest collections of modern stained glass windows many of which have been installed in 1947 hence.