Grundtvig’s Church is a uniquely designed church located in Bispebjerg district in Copenhagen, Denmark. Its original name is the Grundtvig’s Memorial Church but has since been shortened to its current name. Its unique design is one of the rare examples of expressionist style of church architecture. And because it comes with an unusual design for a church, it is considered as one of the more recognizable churches and landmarks in the city.
Grundtvig’s Church History
Grundtvig’s Church was commissioned when plans of building a church to be named after Danish philosopher and hymn writer Nikolai Frederik Severin Grundtvig was suggested. Design for the said church was settled through a competition which was won by by Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint in 1913. The church’s first stone was laid on September 8, 1921, which was also Grundtvig’s birthday. Construction for the church went on from 1921 to 1926, the time when the church’s main tower was completed. This led to the inauguration of the Tower Church in 1927. Construction of the remaining portions of the church continued and monitored by Peder until his death in 1930. Further works in the church’s interior along with the adjacent buildings was continued by his son, Kaare Klint. Church construction was eventually completed in 1940.
Grundtvig’s Church Design
Despite the unusual design and modernistic approach to the design of the Grundtvig’s Church, it was actually meant to blend with the traditional building techniques and use of materials in some of the Danish village churches. It was the use of stepped gables that provided Jensen-Klint with the main inspiration for the design of the Grundtvig’s Church. Jensen-Klint also merged the use of modern geometric forms typical of Brick Expressionism and classical touches of Gothic architecture.
Grundtvig’s Church Features
The tower of Grundtvig’s Church stands 49 meters or 160 feet tall. The facade is highlighted with strong vertical lines that stretch skyward topped by stepped gables. The bottom half of the church used simple brick for material. The interior was basically inspired by Gothic church architecture which typically has a nave, two lateral aisles and a small transept.