The Grossmunster is a Protestant church located in Zurich, Switzerland. It’s name means “great minster” and is considered as one of the more important churches in the Protestant Reformation. It is a Romanesque style church that is also considered one of the important and visible landmarks in Zurich.
The present Grossmunster stands on the site of a previous Carolingan church. According to legend, Charlemagne founded the church when his horse fell to its knees over the tombs of Felix and Regula, the patron saints of Zurich. The Grossmunster was constructed around 1100 and was inaugurated around 1220. Grossmunster was historically significant since it was the place where the Swiss-German Reformation in Switzerland was initiated by Huldrych Zwingli sometime in 1520.
Grossmunster is considered as a church built following a Romanesque style. The church features a great carved portal that contains medieval columns with capitals being adorned by grotesques. The church is recognizable by its two Neo Gothic towers which were first erected between 1487 and 1492. the original high wooden steeples of the church were destroyed by fire in 1781.
Grossmunster has also been provided with a series of additions through the years. It was set with modern stained glass windows created by Swiss artist Augusto Giacometti in 1932. Its current ornate bronze doors in the north and south portals made by Otto Munch were added in 1935 and 1950. Currently, Grossmunster also houses a reformation museum in the cloister as well as the theological school of the University of Zurich.